Items I Bring From Home When Traveling
I went on a trip recently. It wasn’t the greatest, it was actually pretty stressful but the entire time I was so grateful I traveled with items that made a hotel room temporarily feel like home.
We stayed at a 3 star hotel to save money, which was a great idea. I’m just as cool staying at a Homewood Suites as I am a Westin. Since 3 star hotels are marketed to families, they usually come with free parking, free internet and free breakfast. Who doesn’t love that make your own, spinny, waffle thing? Those amenities are great, but I’ve learned to be really comfy I need to pack very specific items.
1. A Robe. My all time favorite, oversized, white terry cloth, soft as Egyptian cotton, robe is from Ikea. Yes that IKEA. Home of meatballs and DIY assembly. It’s amazing. I bought one on impulse and went back for 3 more. It’s costs only $20! TWENTY DOLLARS. A good robe will change your entire mood, especially in a hotel room.
2. Slippers. I have a special pair of travel slippers, because hotel room floors aren’t always the cleanest. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stepped out of bed onto a cold floor and reached for a pair of socks, before it dawned on me to pack slippers. Slippers are a cheap way to add another layer of comfort to your stay. Amazon has pairs under $10 that roll so they don’t take up too much room in your suitcase
3. A spray hand sanitizer that can double as an air freshener spray. Yes I know. You only get 5 or so liquids and why waste one on a travel spray? Well, I’ve been on enough group trips lately to know 2 things. 1. Always get your own room. 2. If you cannot get your own room, you will need a form of air freshener at some point. I never travel without hand sanitizer and one that can be sprayed to freshen the air is a necessary bonus. I love lavender but I find most people respond well to a citrusy scent.
4. Pure Unscented Baby wipes. If your pressed for space these can double as face wipes, if you’re going someplace warm you can freshen up literally anywhere, also if you’re a mini germaphobe like me you can wipe down tray tables and electronics. I used to travel with the best lavender scented wipes, packaged individually but I couldn’t find info on whether those were safe for the nether region and I need my items to be able to do double duty.
5. Gummy bears & kind bars. Those are my two favorite snacks! It makes all the difference when you’re jet lagged and watching a movie, or you’re irritated and maybe not having the greatest time on your trip, ahem, to reach in your bag and have a really yummy snack that doesn’t cost $15 from the hotel store.
Sometimes these little comforts can make or break a trip. Unexpected weather, illness or even just a drop in energy can find you in your hotel room needing some self care/alone time. These are my go-to items to make every trip a relaxing one. What items are your must haves for travel?